Monday, August 04, 2008

Lemak Daun Turi (Turi Leaves in Coconut Milk)

Apologies about the late update. I have been tied down with the kids activities and also lack of mojo to update what I have done over the couple of months. Back to the topic, I made this typical malay dish after seeing my hubby's lunch at Hjh Maimunah, a very popular restaurant that serves very traditional Malay dishes. Traditional dishes is something that I hardly cook at home simply because they can be easily found outside and hubby prefers to eat something different at home. But because we were heading to HKG for our holiday, I don't want to feel homesick with some local dishes *LOL* So I made this with some simple side dishes.



This is a very simple dish, no need to sautee anything, you just need to blend the ingredients and boil them. They are many ways to cook lemak, some add lemongrass for fragrant and chillies for spicyness. I stick to the very basic as my kids love eating this too.


Ingredients
A bunch of turi leaves
1 or 2 medium sweet potatoes
1 large onion
3 small clove garlic
2 T ikan bilis (anchovies), soak
1/2cm belacan (shrimp paste)
1-2C coconut cream/milk
600ml or more water
salt to taste


Method
1. Pluck turi leaves, wash and drain
2. Grind onion, garlic, ikan bilis and belacan into paste
3. Skinned and cut sweet potatoes into medium size pieces and boil it in 600ml water
4. Once sweet potatoes are half cooked, add the ground paste and let it simmer, add water if it gets too low
5. Add coconut cream, stir and let it simmer (do not let it overboil)
6. Once the gravy starts to turn bubbly, add salt and turi leaves and leave it to boil, turn off fire and serve


What do I eat this with?


daun turi
you can learn more here

3 comments:

Maya Yunos said...

Oh yumzzzz! I love these too! At times we cook it with dhal....then eat with rice, papadum and sambal! It taste gud with chapati too! Good to see new updates! Missed your easy treats :D

Zurynee said...

Thank you maya :-) I love dhal too .. ;-)

Zue Murphy said...

I wish I could find daun turi here in us. I love this turi masak lemak with sweet potato. Thanks for your recipe. I found your blog from vg.